Monday 11 July 2011

PIG BRAIN



My mum loved to boil pig brain soup with Chinese herbs for my dad back in the old days. My dad has a very serious illness of migraine and pig brain has the benefits treating in wind syndrome of head and dizziness. Back then I would took a few slips from the bowl and damn it was so good. The older generations strongly believe that "what you eat is what you become" or that consuming a certain animal body part will enhance the same part of the human body and in this brain thing for instance, if you eat lots of it, you will become brainy and smarter. Now pig is not suppose to be smart and maybe their brain is never been used and that's why older generation believe it has lots of memory power in it. Other superstitious beliefs also led to the consumption of exotic food. For other example,eating fish eyes will improve a good vision, chicken feet will improve stronger legs or drinking tiger penis wine will.... well you get the story.

Pig brain is certainly not a dish fancy by the British or any white people. But majority in Asia countries, it is a delicacy which cant be miss. In Cambodian cuisine, it is served raw seasoned with pepper and lemon juice, China have it in hotpot, Malaysia used in soup and stir-fry omelette. These are the foods that I grew up on. My goodness I miss it a lot. I can never find all this in UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment