Friday 10 June 2011

Mum's Food always the B.E.S.T

I was born and raised in Penang Island (The Pearl of the Orient), Malaysia. I remember back then markets or bum sang (in Hokkien) wasn't that trendy and clean like what we get in most supermarkets like in Tesco or MnS. There were old ladies (which we called aunty) and old man (ah pek) selling different kinds of food, from veggie, eggs, fruits to chicken, pork, fish, etc. U name it, we will have it in our bum sang.

I loved following my mum to bum sang since i was 5 years old. Basically, i grow up in the places surrounded with Food. Helping my mum carried the groceries, hearing her gossip and chat with the veggie aunties and fishmonger was part of my everyday routine and growing up memories.

My mum spent almost more then half of her time everyday in the kitchen, preparing our breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chinese style of 3 dishes with a soup and boiled rice is a MUST in my family, especially my dad was very particular on the dishes. Whatever dishes were cooked on lunch cant be the same during dinner time. She was really a hardcore woman, just imagine she had to think of all kind of dishes on every single meal to feed us.

She would looked up in the newspapers for some new recipe, wrote in down, modified a bit and cooked it to suits our taste. Her recipe was still keep by my dad up until now.

I remember very well my mum always smell like a walking garlic. I can admit that she inspired me in my life when i grow up - Worked in kitchen as a chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment